Thursday, February 25, 2010

Amit Trivedi

The first time I heard Amit Trivedi was through the song 'Ek Lau' from the movie Aamir. It was haunting & melodic. As Shilpa Rao crooned the song, I developed goose pimples and felt chills rush through my blood. Obviously, Amitabh Varma's lyrics formed a crucial role in creating this beautiful musical piece. I was soon curious and started listening to the other tracks from Aamir. I discovered that even though this album was not exactly ground-breaking or a complete deviation from the masses, it had something. I could not place my finger on it, but it did not sound like the usual Bollywood album. It had an intensity, a refreshing sound. However, I did underrate the man behind the music. I thought he would turn out to be a one-hit wonder, joining those innumerable people who do not last inspite of producing 'hits' as we call it. 'Ek Lau' wasn't exactly a hit, but you could not forget this soulful piece easily.

I heard him again through the musical journey of Dev D. The most popular track 'Emotional Attyachaar' (Band Version) doesn't exactly do justice to the album. Yes! this song did bring out a new catch phrase to our generation, and acts out well as per the situation in the movie, but you cannot exactly relax or go for a drive listening to it. Most of the songs stay true to the movie's theme - Young Love. But each song is treated differently and has a unique style. Some of my favourites include 'Dhol Yara Dhol' which represents the first love's anticipation in a folk style; 'Payaliya' in a semi-classical style exemplifying the thoughts of a young girl in love; 'Pardesi' talks about the addiction of well, love in a folk-electro fusion; 'Nayan Tarse' depicting the search for love in  semi-rock flavour; 'Saali Khushi' in a whimsical mood which reflects depression. Other tracks are also good enough to be etched onto your memory if not as impressive as the favourites.

He did not let me down again when I heard 'Iktara' from Wake Up Sid. A simple composition in Kavitha Seth's mesmerising & unique voice relaxes you and takes you to new places...

I think the main reason I have enjoyed all his songs is - It's very much Indian. I mean I am a MUSIC fanatic & enjoy all kinds of genres across the world. But its refreshing to listening to a hindi soundtrack that is not trying too hard... Be it folk, classical, easy listening or rock there are no extra beats, no pretence... Just honest, simple and unquestionably addictive music. Hope he doesn't get swept by peer pressure & resort to making only commercially viable songs (I mean the man after all has to eat). I am looking forward to hearing some more refreshing sounds and compositions from this new kid on the block...

PS: Go check him out & make up your own mind :)

No comments: